Connect with us

law an courts

ZUPCO Conductor Killer Suspect Granted $20 000 Bail – New Zimbabwe.com

Spread This News

By Mary Taruvinga


A 35-year-old Harare man, Campion Marowa,  accused of shooting a Zimbabwe Passengers Company (ZUPCO)  bus conductor, Joyce Kuzhumbwa (22) last month has been granted $20 000 bail by High Court judge, Justice Webster Chinamhora.

This followed a successful application through his lawyer, Kingstone Mukanganwi of Mugiya and Muvhami law firm.

As part of his bail condition, Marowa was ordered to report three times a week at the Harare Central Police Station, not to interfere with state witnesses and to continue residing at his given address.

His freedom comes a month after he was denied bail by Harare Magistrate Dennis Mangosi.

Marowa is also facing other charges of theft and violating the Firearms Act.

Prosecutors allege that he also stole 20 litres of diesel from another bus operator.

According to the state, on September 13 this year at around 20:45 hours, the accused boarded a ZUPCO bus where the now-deceased Kuzhumbwa was a conductor.

It is alleged Marowa was armed with a 38 Astra revolver loaded with three rounds of ammunition.

Prosecutors allege when the bus reached its destination in Dzivaresekwa, Harare, the accused was one of the last passengers to disembark from the bus while the conductor was completed her log sheets.

Marowa purportedly pulled a loaded revolver from his waist before he fatally shot the conductor.

It is alleged after committing the offense, he removed the cartridges and hid them at Harare Polytechnic along Samora Machel Avenue.

The accused later proceeded to Number 9 Rudland Avenue, Belvedere,  Harare, where he had been deployed to perform guard duties the previous day and hid the revolver which was now loaded with two rounds of ammunition in a changing room without notifying the guard on duty.

The court heard Marowa told his supervisor Munyaradzi Musekiwa through a text message on September 14 at about 03:43 am where he had hidden the revolver.

It is alleged the evidence linking the accused to the offence is the recovery of the remaining cartridges.

The accused person also voluntarily made indications to the police.

In a separate case, Marowa is also accused of stealing 25 litres of diesel from Eagle Liner bus company.

He is also being charged with violation of the Firearms Act after he discharged a firearm to deter an Eagle Liner employee from manhandling him after he stole the fuel.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

law an courts

Woman who allegedly hacked husband to pieces and fled to Zimbabwe too ill for court – IOL

Rustenburg – The murder case against a 42-year-old woman accused of killing her husband six years ago and tossing his body parts in three different pit toilets was postponed at the Mankwe Magistrate’s Court in Mogwase on Tuesday due to her ill-health.

The court heard that Nancy Majonhi was too ill to attend court and was admitted to hospital where she was under police guard.

In her previous appearance, the court ordered she be subjected to mental examination before applying for bail.

Majonhi did not appear in court on October 12 due to ill-health, and the court was told she was refusing to eat while in police custody.

MORE ON THIS

She is accused of beating her husband Prosper Chipungare with a hammer until he lost consciousness, she then chopped him with a spade and disposed of his body parts in three pit toilets.

She, thereafter, thoroughly cleaned the place and went to Sun City police station, where she reported her husband was missing.

According to North West police, the incident occurred at a rented room in Ledig near Sun City on July 28, 2015, after the couple had a fight.

After the incident, Majonhi went home to Zimbabwe, where she confessed to her family and in-laws that she had killed her husband.

The families arranged to come to South Africa, and Majonhi handed herself over to the Sun City police.

Following her arrest, three pit latrines she pointed out as the places she had buried her husband’s body parts, were searched and the police managed to retrieve a skull and bones which would be subjected to deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) tests.

The case was postponed to November 9.

IOL

Continue Reading

law an courts

Wedza Man Sentenced To Death For Killing Employer – New Zimbabwe.com

Spread This News

By Mary Taruvinga


A WEDZA man Tapiwa Murombo has been sentenced to death for murdering his employer over a debt dispute.

The sentence was handed by a High Court judge, Justice Priscilla Munangati-Manongwa following Murombo’s conviction over the murder of Partson Musarandoga.

He was found guilty in 2015.

In delivering, her sentence the judge said Murombo failed to exonerate himself from the offense, and evidence produced in court weighed heavily against him.

The court proved that after killing his employer, Murombo wrote a suicide letter purporting to be Musarandoga.

In the fake letter, Musarandoga was said to have told his family to give Murombo a tonne of maize and 25 liters of diesel to cover up for the money owed.

Musarandoga’s body was found dumped at Rhodesdale dam a few days after he went missing.

Police immediately started investigations leading to the arrest of Murombo following a high-speed car chase along the Harare-Chirundu highway.

In court, Murombo pleaded not guilty to the charge, arguing he had parted ways with Musarandoga cordially after the two settled a US$4 000 tillage debt owed to him in exchange for a Toyota Vitz.

However, according to the state, on August 21, 2015, Murombo axed Musarandoga on the head at a farm situated along the Wedza road.

He then stole Musarandoga’s vehicle.

The state proved after committing the murder, Murombo went on to forge a suicide note with contents directing him to get proceeds from selling the deceased’s tonne of maize, diesel, and a car battery.

Murombo then disappeared to an unknown location before the deceased’s son called him looking for his father.

The court heard that Murombo provided two different addresses in Rusape to the deceased’s son where he claimed Musarandoga had relocated to with his new wife.

Murombo switched off his mobile phone before proceeding to Kariba to buy kapenta fish for resale.

However, after a tip-off, police officers from the Homicide Section pursued Murombo along the Harare-Chirundu highway where they shot him on his leg when he tried to escape.

The deceased’s particulars and a Nokia Asha 303 phone were found in Murombo’s possession.

He was later taken for indications at Rhodesdale dam in Wedza where Musarandoga’s body was found.

In her ruling, the judge said; “The court finds that the reasons advanced are not such as to convince the court not to pass the death sentence. In essence, after taking all factors into account, this court finds that there are no circumstances of a mitigating nature that would call for a lesser sentence.

“Neither a life sentence nor a sentence of not less than 20 years will meet the justice of the case. Thus, in the absence of any meaningful reasons advanced by the accused as to why the death sentence should not be imposed upon him, and the accused not being in the group that is excluded by s 48(2)(c) of the Constitution of Zimbabwe Amendment (No. 20) from receiving a death sentence, the accused is sentenced to death,” she said.

“The accused shall be returned to prison to be held until the execution of the sentence according to law.”

Continue Reading

law an courts

Court finds Colombia responsible for rape, torture of journalist – Yahoo Eurosport UK

The Inter-American Court of Human Rights on Monday ruled that the state of Colombia bears responsibility for the ordeal of a female journalist who was kidnapped, raped and then tortured in 2000 by paramilitaries.

Jineth Bedoya was working for the El Espectador newspaper at the time, investigating a weapons smuggling ring, when she was abducted and assaulted by far-right militia members.

The paramilitaries, some of whom have since been convicted, were among the forces that fought left-wing guerrillas in Colombia until their official demobilization in 2006.

The acts against Bedoya “could not have been carried out without the consent and collaboration of the (Colombian) State, or at least with its tolerance,” the court, an autonomous part of the Organization of American States (OAS), ruled on Monday.

Bedoya, now 47, hailed the decision.

“October 18, 2021 goes down in history as the day when a struggle that began with an individual crime has led to the vindication of the rights of thousands of women who have been victims of sexual violence and of women journalists who leave a part of their lives in their work,” tweeted Bedoya, who was awarded the UNESCO World Press Freedom Prize last year.

Colombia “fully accepts the decision,” President Ivan Duque tweeted.

“I will always condemn any violent act against women and journalists,” he said. “The sentence should serve as a guide to actions that can be implemented to prevent anything like this from happening again.”

Bedoya had implicated agents of the state, in particular an “influential” general of the police force, in the attack, which started when she was kidnapped in front of La Modelo prison in the capital Bogota.

The paramilitaries tortured and raped her for 16 hours before leaving her lying naked by the side of a road.

Bedoya has said she has suffered two decades of “persecution, intimidation and constant threats.”

– ‘Deadly dangers’ –

The Colombian state was guilty of “failing to investigate the threats that had been received” by Bedoya, according to a statement released by the judicial wing of the OAS, headquartered in Costa Rica.

The failure to investigate violated Bedoya’s “rights to judicial guarantees, judicial protection and equality before the law,” the court ruled.

It also ordered Colombia to “punish those remaining responsible for the acts of violence,” and called for other measures including the creation of a training program for public officials and security forces focused on violence against women.

It made no reference, however, to the closure of La Modelo — one of Bedoya’s main requests.

The Colombian state had apologized to the journalist before the same court in March, when it also ordered the government to immediately ensure the safety of Bedoya and her mother, who had both been victims of threats — including a 1999 attack on both that the state failed to investigate.

The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights had referred the case to the court in 2019. Its decisions are definitive and unappealable.

The Press Freedom Foundation (FLIP) welcomed Monday’s “dignified” decision for a woman who “has tirelessly sought justice for more than 20 years.”

And the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) called it “a historic acknowledgment of the deadly dangers that Colombia’s female journalists face.”

“The Colombian government has for years refused to acknowledge or make amends for its responsibility in this case,” it said in a statement.

das/rsr/jb/roc/jh/st/reb/qan

Continue Reading

Trending